Published by Auckland, Counties Manukau and Waitematā DHBs on 26/04/2022 8:56:55 AM.
COVID-19 Vaccination Temporary Medical Exemptions
The COVID-19 Vaccination HealthPathway has been updated with the latest Ministry of Health guidance on Temporary Medical Exemptions (TME). See the COVID-19 Vaccination HealthPathway under Supporting the decision > Medical exemptions.
The latest guidance includes the following:
· All people are eligible to apply for a TME from COVID-19 Vaccination after Covid -19 infection (Category 1A).
· Exemptions are valid for between 3 and 6 months, depending on the category of exemption.
· Medical and Nurse Practitioners may apply for TME on behalf of unvaccinated or partially vaccinated patients.
· There are other categories for TMEs and strict criteria apply, with the requirement of supporting documentation.
· If a TME is granted for an incompletely vaccinated patient, employers are expected to carry out a risk assessment to determine whether the patient is safe to fulfil their employment for the exempted period (until they are able to complete vaccination).
Funding is available via POAC for medical exemption application consultations. See COVID-19 Funding and Supplies for further information.
Testing for Travel and Temporary Medical Exemptions
· Under Orange settings, travellers are not required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative test prior to boarding a domestic flight.
· In other setting where travellers are required to show proof of vaccination (i.e. Red), TMEs are only valid for domestic use, not for overseas travel purposes.
· TMEs granted for the purpose of gaining a New Zealand Vaccine Pass are not valid internationally. People who are not fully vaccinated and wish to travel internationally will need to check the COVID-19 vaccine requirements, exemption policies and processes of the relevant airline and the destination country.
Updated COVID-19 Bubble Chart for Case and Contact journey The COVID-19 Bubble Chart Case and Contact journey for Metro Auckland has been updated with the link to the latest material on the MoH Temporary Medical Exemptions page, as above, and can be accessed on HealthPathways, on Covid-19 Resources under Auckland Guidance > COVID-19 Management > COVID-19 Bubble: Case and Contact Journey for Metro Auckland